Melbourne Pack running club have lots of different locations around Melbourne for our Sunday long runs. All runners from all groups, clubs and walks of life are welcome every Sunday.
The runs take place in locations like:
- from Edithvale along trails to either Mentone, Waterways or The Paterson River. These runs have amazing river and/or Port Phillip Bay views. They always finish with morning tea (coffee, tea, juice, muffins, pancakes, French toast, fruit) back at the coach’s house right by the start/finish.
- at Braeside Park along a pristine wooded trail which is perfectly groomed and sure to give runners a decent average pace on the flat course. We finish with a morning tea in a rotunda under giant gum trees and a magic setting. Car pooling from Edithvale is provided.
- at Lysterfield Lake Park we hit a hillier circuit with more gentle options for those that don’t seek too much vertical challenge. Dozens of kangaroos and other native wildlife keep us company in grand surroundings. We meet for morning tea at local café after the run. Car pooling from Edithvale is provided.
- a rail trail from Emerald to Cockatoo, with a longer option to Gembrook. All runs are “out and back” and generally follow the Puffing Billy railway. With a bit of luck you may even see the famous old steam train. It is quite a hilly run on a well groomed trail. We meet for morning tea at a local café after the run. Car pooling from Edithvale is provided.
- The run this Sunday, March 3, will be at Red Hill. Allow 37 minutes to get there from Edithvale. We will car pool at Edithvale Track leaving at 7.00am.
The Red Hill run will start at 7.40am at the car park on the corner of Point Leo Rd and Callanan’s Rd, Red Hill South. We head along the Rail Trail towards Merricks for 6.5km (mainly a gradual downhill with one 150m uphill). At the end of the rail trail turn right down a 300m trail to Merricks General Store. At the right of the General Store is a 2.7km dirt road- Thompson’s Lane. Run to the end of Thompson’s Lane to make 9.5km. Turn around and go back the way you came for 19km. To add on a further 5km do an out and back on the adjoining Callanan’s Rd (2.5km each way) for a 24km run. Another option is a 13km run if you just do the 6.5km rail trail out and back.
There are a few cafes within 100m of the start/finish but we will meet at FOOD ON THE HILL CAFE, (officially on Shoreham Rd but at the back of the car park where we run from)